Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Bake: 20 mins
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced, green and white parts separated
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees . In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda and pepper. In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and eggs.
- In a large (10-inch) cast-iron skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until golden but not crisp, about 5 minutes. Stir in the scallion whites and butter. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the scallions soften, about 3 minutes.
- Whisk the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture to combine. Whisk in the scallion greens, then mix in the hot bacon mixture, leaving some fat in the skillet.
- Immediately pour the batter back into the hot skillet. Transfer to the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool in the skillet for 5 minutes before serving.