Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 40 mins
Grill: 25 mins
- 3 pounds split chicken wings without tips
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- Salt and pepper
- 2/3 cup pitted dates
- 1/3 cup pure apricot jam
- 1/4 cup salted roasted marcona almonds, chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the wing segments, 2 tbsp.l vinegar, the EVOO and 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper; mix well to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the dates, jam, remaining 1/4 cup vinegar and 1/4 cup water over low heat. Cover, bring to a simmer and cook until the sauce is thick and the fruit is soft, about 30 minutes. Using the back of a spoon, press the mixture through a strainer, making sure to scrape the thick sauce off the outside of the strainer. Let cool.
- Preheat a gas grill to 350 degrees . Add the wings to the hot grate, cover the grill and cook, turning occasionally, until browned and just cooked through, about 20 minutes. Increase the heat to medium-high and, using a brush, dab the apricot-date sauce onto the wings. Continue to grill, uncovered, occasionally turning and dabbing with more sauce, until the wings are cooked through and well glazed, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle the almonds on top.
- TWIST AND TURN 'EM. Unlike breasts and thighs, which should be turned only once (we're talking to you, fidgety cooks!), flipping wings a few extra times helps them cook more evenly by bringing heat to their crevices.