Makes: 2 servings
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- EVOO, for drizzling
- coarse salt, for sprinkling
- chopped herbs, for topping
- Start with room-temp eggs (leave them on the counter for about 30 minutes). Fill a large bowl 2/3 full with ice (don't skimp!), then fill the bowl with water.
- Bring at least a quart of water to a rolling boil in a medium saucepan.
- Carefully lower the eggs into the boiling water and set the timer for 6 minutes. Wait patiently.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the eggs to the ice water. Let cool and peel (in or out of the icy water).
- Crush the egg onto whole wheat toast; sprinkle with coarse salt and drizzle with EVOO. Top with chopped herbs.
- Serve on top of grits, polentaor even oatmeal.
- Cut up and add to a spinach salad, along with some good-quality canned tuna.
- Chop and mix with boiled new potatoes and canned artichokes for a pumped-up potato salad.