Still planning your beach adventure? We know! According to Yahoo! trends expert, Lauren Whitehouse, beach travel searches are spiking off the charts. Whether you’re planning a trip to Myrtle Beach (the #1 searched destination), Virginia Beach or even the pool for you midwest dwellers, you’re going to need a stellar menu that’s easy to put together, transport and keep cold.
Looking for a fun, after-work idea? On a nice summer night, treat yourself (plus your sweetie or friends) to a concert in the park! Make one portable dish and buy the rest for an easy summer feast, because, what goes better with music than a delicious meal and a cool beer?
Make it: Grilled Pork with Rice & Quinoa Salad is easy to pack in individual portions, which means no extra serving utensils or platters required!
Buy it: Pickles, beer, fruit tart, heavy cream and crystallized ginger.
Semi-homemade: Jazz up a bakery tart or cake with a dollop of cream whipped with chopped crystallized ginger.
Pack smart: Each Kip It Cutlery To Go set gives you two handles and mix-and-match heads. Snap on a fork, knife, spoon — or chopsticks! ($6 for a set, surlatable.com)
Save room in your cooler by packing your beers in a Chill It six-pack freezable bag. ($15, chillitbags.com)
Eating, drinking and making merry outside? What you want from your sunscreen– beyond broad-spectrum protection and an SPF of at least 30– is a scent that won’t compete with food and a formula that won’t leave your hands too goopy to snack. We found six products that fit both bills, and work extra well for the fiestas below– though a few tubes can easily cross party lines!
If you can’t stand the heat in the kitchen—get out of the house and host a picnic! We’ve got the best gear for a summer day in the park, at the beach or on the lawn—all you have to do is provide the food. Check out our fave products:
1. Forget schlepping around a bulky, boxy basket—this insulated picnic tote holds everything you need and keeps food at the right temp! $42, macys.com
2. Easily carry this large picnic mat to whatever spot you choose—the waterproof bottom means you can lay it wherever you want! Plus, store extra essentials in the hidden pocket. $32 and up, picnicfun.com Special note: 10% of all pink mat purchases will go to breast cancer research.
3. Keep food safe from bugs while you play with these hand-painted food domes. $30 and up for set of three, depending on size, worldmarket.com
4. Just because you’re outside doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice style! You’d never guess these servers, with intricate rope detailing on the bottoms, are melamine. Available in three colors. $18.50, potterybarn.com
5. Need inspiration? Look no further than Tori Finch’s “A Perfect Day for A Picnic” loaded with tons of decorating and recipe ideas for your outdoor party. $17, amazon.com
6. Don’t forget the wine! This three-bottle-tote ensures the vino keeps flowing all day long! $30, builtny.com
7. These bright, printed melamine plates will survive the trip outside—and impress your company! $4.50 each, westelm.com
Pair your picnic gear with these delish just-for-summer recipes:
- Tasty summer side dishes
- 15 no-cook recipes
- Mediterranean potato salad
- An Orangina cocktail
- Pigs in ponchos
More Picnic Posts: