We’ve all heard about the amazing benefits of the Mediterranean Diet, but if you’re not ready to go full-on EVOO, here’s a warmup week of five Mediterranean recipes to try out. Explore the flavors of garlic, oregano, basil, olives and fennel and see why everyone’s raving about the cuisine from this part of the world.
Monday, September 1
The Mediterranean diet is composed of key healthy ingredients, such as EVOO, fish, seasonal produce and robust spices. Although we can celebrate these unbeatable recipes and flavor combinations every month, May just so happens to be Mediterranean Diet Month, giving us yet another excuse to get in the kitchen and try out some new and exciting dishes. But before we get cooking, here are some tips to keep in mind:
1. Eat more fish: Heart-healthy fats (such as Omega 3 fatty acids) are key to this way of eating, and fish is full of them.
2. Embrace herbs and spices: Besides being an easy way to wake up mild meat like chicken, herbs and spices have all kinds of health benefits, too.
3. Go with the grains: Whole grains are high in fiber, filling you up so you’ll have less room for unhealthy foods.
4. Fill up on veggies: Vegetables provide all kinds of nutrients, especially those typically found in the Mediterranean diet. They can be a meal unto themselves, or make up a started course called meze.
5. Rethink your proteins: Who says you can only eat eggs in the morning? They’re a phenomenal source of protein for any time of day.
6. Finish with fruit: Fresh or dried, fruit is a healthy, delicious finale to a meal, and replaces sugary desserts completely in the Mediterranean diet.
Try some of our favorite Mediterranean recipes this month!
In our April issue, we take you on a culinary journey to parts of the Mediterranean way beyond just Spain and Italy. Countries like Turkey, Israel and Morocco are home to some bold, palate-awakening foods that are chef-, nutritionist- and Meatless Monday-approved. So ditch the traditional Greek salad or Spanish omelet and embrace the flavors of the (meatless) Mediterranean with these dishes:
From our April issue: Spicy Tomato-Poached Eggs
From our April issue: Fried Chickpeas & Fresh Vegetable Salad