There are burgers… and then there are restaurant burgers: those over-the-top concoctions built for maximum wow and deliciousness. To find the best of this special breed, we tapped the country’s top chefs— all recent regional winners of prestigious James Beard Awards—to share the burgers they devour most on their home turf. Then we tracked down the recipes, cooked up a storm and cast our votes. The result: Our (slightly simplified) recipe for the best burger in America, plus 51 more of the coolest, craziest, most crave-worthy burgers to ever grace a bun— and how you can make your own burgers better!
Categories: Every Day Scoop, Food, Travel | Tags: Bruce Sherman, Burger Battle Royale, Burgers, Chris Hastings, Dan Kluger, Gabe Rucker, Hugh Acheson, James Beard, James Beard Foundation, Linton Hopkins, Maricel Presila, Matt Molina, Paul Qui, Tim Cushman, Tory Miller
CHEF MATT MOLINA
of Osteria Mozza, Los Angeles, CA
Find out more about this James Beard award-winning chef at jamesbeard.org.
Chef Matt Molina’s Top 5 Favorite Burgers in the West
1. CHOPPED SIRLOIN Jar, Los Angeles, CA
Open-face, so it’s a definite knife-and-forker, with fried egg and green-pepper sauce.
2. THE PIKEY BURGER The Pikey, Los Angeles, CA
Chargrilled beef, aged cheddar, tomato and worcestershire aioli.
3. NUMBER ONE BURGER 25 Degrees at the Roosevelt Hotel, Los Angeles, CA
Buttery crescenza and gorgonzola cheeses on a bacon burger.
4. ULTIMELT BURGER Go Burger, Los Angeles, CA An upscale twist on the patty melt with bacon and a special sauce between two grilled cheese sandwiches.
5. THE PUG BURGER The Hungry Cat, Hollywood, CA
Organic Niman Ranch beef with house- smoked bacon, avocado and Danish blue cheese on a brioche bun.