No beach? No problem! Here’s how chef Ben Ford builds a classic seafood feast on the grill.
Serves 4 Prep 20 min Cook 50 min
2 live lobsters (about 1 1/2 lbs. each)
4 medium artichokes
4 ears corn
3 sticks butter–1 softened, 2 melted
4 sweet onions, peeled
9 small potatoes
1 lb. fresh Mexican chorizo links
12 unpeeled, deveined jumbo shrimp, preferably head-on
2 1/4 lbs. littleneck clams, scrubbed
1. Heat a charcoal or gas grill to high. Place the lobsters in the freezer for 20 minutes. Trim the artichoke stems and leaves; slice off the top inch. In a pot, steam artichokes in 1 inch boiling water until crisp-tender, 20 minutes.
2. Pull back the cornhusks and remove silk. Rub each cob with 2 tbsp. softened butter. Pull husks back up to cover corn; tie with kitchen twine.
3. Using a chef’s knife, make two slits in the core end of the onions about a quarter way through, forming an X.
4. Lay half the seaweed on the top grill grate. Arrange the lobsters in the center of the seaweed, then surround with the artichokes, corn, onions, 8 potatoes and the chorizo links. Scatter the shrimp and clams on top; cover with the remaining seaweed. Place the remaining potato on top as a tester. Cover the clambake with the grill lid.
5. Cook until the tester potato is tender, about 30 minutes. Serve with the melted butter.
Adapted from Taming the Feast by Ben Ford and Carolynn Carreño, Atria Books, 2014
Happy June! We’re kicking it into high summer mode this week with five dinners that are meant for the grill. So get your seasonal veggies ready, your patio furniture dusted off and your charcoal nice and hot. It’s officially grilling season.
Monday, June 1st
Herb-Marinated Tilapia Kebabs
Sweet & Smoky Ribs
Give your oven the summer off! Use your grill to heat up your favorite frozen foods and add smoky flavor, too.
There’s no better feeling than having a full week of delicious, healthy and quick meals planned for you and your family. So, to make your life easier, we’re sharing five fast and simple recipes for the upcoming week. Dinnertime just got a whole lot better!
Monday, July 14
With the approach of the most patriotic holiday of the year (not to mention, celebrating the American World Cup soccer team), now is the time to crank up that American spirit and host a Fourth of July party that is sure to be remembered. Sick of the old burger-and-hotdog? We’ve compiled our 10 most patriotic recipes, from main dishes to drinks, and red-white-and-blue to the straight-up American classics!
These burgers hit all the right notes, with just the right amount of heat, creaminess and meaty flavor. We smell America!
Since we couldn’t choose just one grilling recipe for you to make this weekend, we’ll stick to one category: kebabs! Kebabs are the perfect weekend activity – they’re quick-cooking, fun, get the whole family involved AND make for great leftovers. Here are some of our favorite kebab recipes, PLUS, how to use up your leftovers.
When we think of Memorial Day, one of the first things that comes to mind is a smoking hot grill and all the delicious foods that are searing away. But we’re not just talking about hot dogs and hamburgers; did you know you can grill leafy greens, desserts and even cheese? This year, instead of sticking to the classics, we’ll be grilling up some of the wackiest, wildest recipes that are sure to leave an impression– both on the food and on our guests! Did you know you can grill….
Forget burgers! You can grill meatballs instead
Happy Memorial Day, everyone!
Did you know today is Pizza Party Day? Not that we need an excuse to share a pie with some friends on a Friday, but the holiday today gives us an opportunity to embrace two of our favorite things: pizza (obviously) and grilling! How, you ask? Rather than baking your pizza in the oven, try grilling it up for a smoky, fire-roasted flavor that truly can’t be beat.
If you want to go all out, you can make your dough from scratch, pick your toppings and hit the grill. Or, you can grab a bag of store-bought pizza dough and go from there. Whether you’re starting from scratch or taking a shortcut, here are some recipe ideas:
Grill-less or just not in the mood to cook on a Friday? That’s okay, you can still celebrate! Order in a pie from your favorite delivery shop and throw together the easiest spring cocktail ever, Pick-a-Liquor Ginger Cocktail