‘Tis the season for gifting, baking and, above all, eating! But why keep the three separate when you can make delicious gifts from scratch? They say the way to anyone’s heart is through their stomach, and the holidays are the perfect time to show your loved ones just how much you care. From the candy lover to the bacon aficionado, cross every taste off your list with these 6 festive treats.
For the animal lover: Ginger Pigs
Here’s a fast idea for a hostess gift that’s both beautiful and useful: an edible salad bouquet! Here’s the how-to:
Buy starter plants– green-leaf (like oak), red-leaf (like ruby) and flavorful mesclun mixes (arugula, kale)– at farmers’ markets or gardening stores and transfer them to a planter or pot. Add a note on a gardening tag, then let your friends dig in. Your hosts can enjoy it all season long!
More Fast Ideas
Gift Pick #3: Rachael Ray 3 Tier Stacking Salt Box
Do you know someone who spends most of their time over the stove sauteeing and stirring? This Rachael Ray Wooden 3-Tier Stacking Salt Box is the gift for them. Crafted from acacia wood, this salt box has a convenient stacking design with a top lid, allowing for easy storage of three different salts, peppers or other seasonings. Cooks can quickly grab and sprinkle whatever they need–be it salt for pasta water, oregano for marinara sauce or pepper for scrambled eggs. The box looks perfect on any counter or stove top, and can be purchased here.
Gift Pick #2: Rachael Ray 3 Piece Lazy Tool Set in Orange
Rachael Ray’s tools are built to make your time in the kitchen just as fun as it is efficient. This bright orange set contains a slotted spoon, a lazy spoon and tongs, all built to last through the toughest of cooking challenges. As the tools can resist up to 500 degrees of heat, you can feel comfortable resting them on the edges of hot cookware, which is made even easier with their built in side notch. The nonstick material is dishwasher safe and makes for easy cleanup. So easy! Purchase a set of these spoons here.
As you’re checking off your gift list, make sure you’ve covered everyone on your list: Including the foodie! When it comes to home cooking, you can never have too many pots, pans, utensils and cooking accessories. So this year, pick up a few of Rachael Ray’s best-selling kitchen tools, and give your friends a reason to make YOU a home-cooked meal!
Gift Pick #1: Rachael Ray 14 Piece Cookware Set
This gift is ideal for someone who’s just moved into a new home or needs to restock their kitchen. It includes all of the pans needed to equip your kitchen with the most-used cooking pieces, like sauce pans, stock pots and skillets. With deep sides, you’ll make the most of each pot and will have plenty of room for one-dish meals. The pots are hard-andonized, which means they’re exceptionally durable, heat quickly and evenly and reduce “hot spots” that can burn foods. They’re also dishwasher and oven safe with nonstick interiors and rubberized handles that can withstand temperatures up to 350 degrees. These pots are everything a home cook could need, and more. You may want to pick up an extra set for yourself! Purchase the set here.
As the holidays approach, we know how essential it is to have the perfect hostess gift. But why settle for the usual flower bouquet or box of chocolates when you can give something truly special and personalized? Personal Wine is a company that will let you do just that.
Ranging from custom labels to etched wine accessories and more, Personal Wine will help you send the perfect message for any occasion. First, choose from a wide range of red, white or sparkling wines. Then pick out a label or engraving with a special message, and you’ll be well on your way to winning Dinner Guest of the Year.
But the holiday cheer doesn’t stop there; now through December 10th, you can enter the promo code RAY15 for a 15% discount off your entire purchase! Now, can gift giving get any better than that?!
Here’s to you Dad!
Stumped on gift ideas? We’ve got some quirky, foodie and all-around awesome presents to show your dad just how much you love him this Father’s Day!
1. I mustache you a question! How cool would your old man look in these stache-covered socks? $12.50, fredflare.com
2. Whatever his title may be at work, we promise you he’s most proud of the title “Dad.” So let him brag at the office with a special for-dad-only mug. $14 each, rockscissorpaper.com
3. Guys aren’t all about meat and potatoes, they have a secret sweet tooth too! Fill up his candy drawer with a three piece candy collection, loaded with fruity sour gummies, gummy cola bottles and gourmet gummy papa and baby bears. $16 for set, sugarfina.com
4. Happy hour just got better! With this age-your-own whiskey kit he can pour friends a drink and brag about it. Each kit comes with two 110-proof bottles of un-aged White Dog Whiskey, an aging barrel and two drinking glasses. $150, binnys.com
5. Make a statement! This wood sign (5″x4.5″) let’s him show off just how much you care. $11, paper-source.com
6. If he’s more of a beer guy, try a garden kit that lets him grow his own hops! In this garden dome, he’ll grow wheat, barley and hops (seeds included in the kit) so all he has left to do is brew a pint! $28, overstock.com
7. Here’s a treat he’ll eat right up: Slow-roasted pecans smoked and seasoned with chili powder, thyme, brown sugar, salt and Old Bay for true Southern BBQ flavor. $24, blackberryfarm.com
8. If he’s a grill master that loves to entertain, he—and his guests—will get a kick out of these Claudia Pearson beach-inspired hot dog plates. Surfs up! $16 each, westelm.com
Looking for more Father’s Day ideas?
According to the National Retail Federation Mother’s Day spending survey, consumers will spend an average of $168.94 on mother’s day gifts this year with a majority of people splurging on electronics. Instead of giving mom a straight-out-of-the-box gift like a phone though, we suggest showing her a little TLC with a care package specially customized to compliment her personality. Use our three suggestions below as a starting point, then get creative by adding other items you know your mom will love!
For Moms Who Love a Little Nosh:
Give her an edible world tour: Line the inside of a cardboard box with an old map and pack it with treats like jasmine tea pearls from China, French macarons, figs from Spain or Belgian chocolate. Or look to family vacations for inspiration: saltwater taffy from San Diego, bagels from New York or maple syrup from Vermont.
For Moms Who Put Everyone Else First:
Encourage her to indulge her interests. If she’s a cook, try colorful kitchen tools, an apron and a cooking-class gift certificate. Add a recipe box filled with notes and family photos. Or inspire an artistic mom with an art or photography book and a set of brushes and paints.
For Moms Who Want Something You Made:
Create a memory box: Write down your most heartfelt thoughts on separate slips of paper. Roll and tie each one with a bit of ribbon and stash them in a vintage tin. Include a photo in a recordable frame with a message from the whole family, or go all out with a customized photo book from a site like pinholepress.com.