There’s no better way to celebrate dad than to throw a big party around his favorite household appliance: the grill! But don’t wait until Sunday morning to prep for the big celebration. Our make-ahead grilling recipes tips will insure you have a stress-free Father’s Day full of fun, food and family time!
1. Start with a simple salad
Whether you can cook, bake, grill or none of the above, this gorgeous Heirloom Tomato & Burrata Salad can be made in advance and assembled at the last minute. It’s simple and fresh but still has that “wow” factor that dad will love.
2. Night-before prep is key
It’s a lot easier to cook up some meat and toss it in an already-made dressing than it would be to have one hand on the grill and one mixing up a vinaigrette. You can make the Vietnamese Vinaigrette for this grilled shrimp the night before. Just grill, toss and serve the day of!
3. It’s all in the family
Keep it family style. You can eat at your leisure and guests don’t feel like they have to finish everything on their plate.
4. It’s better with butter
Make and chill a flavored butter up to two days in advance for grilled steak. Be sure to make an extra batch for crusty bread!
5. Keep it cool
Save yourself time and space in the kitchen: It takes about three hours to chill bottles in the fridge, but only 30 minutes in a bucket filled with ice and water.
Here’s to you Dad!
Stumped on gift ideas? We’ve got some quirky, foodie and all-around awesome presents to show your dad just how much you love him this Father’s Day!
1. I mustache you a question! How cool would your old man look in these stache-covered socks? $12.50, fredflare.com
2. Whatever his title may be at work, we promise you he’s most proud of the title “Dad.” So let him brag at the office with a special for-dad-only mug. $14 each, rockscissorpaper.com
3. Guys aren’t all about meat and potatoes, they have a secret sweet tooth too! Fill up his candy drawer with a three piece candy collection, loaded with fruity sour gummies, gummy cola bottles and gourmet gummy papa and baby bears. $16 for set, sugarfina.com
4. Happy hour just got better! With this age-your-own whiskey kit he can pour friends a drink and brag about it. Each kit comes with two 110-proof bottles of un-aged White Dog Whiskey, an aging barrel and two drinking glasses. $150, binnys.com
5. Make a statement! This wood sign (5″x4.5″) let’s him show off just how much you care. $11, paper-source.com
6. If he’s more of a beer guy, try a garden kit that lets him grow his own hops! In this garden dome, he’ll grow wheat, barley and hops (seeds included in the kit) so all he has left to do is brew a pint! $28, overstock.com
7. Here’s a treat he’ll eat right up: Slow-roasted pecans smoked and seasoned with chili powder, thyme, brown sugar, salt and Old Bay for true Southern BBQ flavor. $24, blackberryfarm.com
8. If he’s a grill master that loves to entertain, he—and his guests—will get a kick out of these Claudia Pearson beach-inspired hot dog plates. Surfs up! $16 each, westelm.com
Looking for more Father’s Day ideas?