Whether you like your doughnuts glazed, sprinkled, cream-filled or in holes, today’s the day to go out and get yourself a dozen because we’re celebrating the 75th annual National Doughnut Day!
This foodie holiday has a long history, originally created in 1938 to honor the women who served the flaky, sweet pastries to WWII military men, it is celebrated on the first Friday of every June. Not like we need an excuse to indulge! Before heading out to buy your assorted dozen, take a bite out of these doughnut-loving facts:
- One of Rach’s fave cities, Austin, TX, is home to one of the oldest, most beloved doughnut shops in the country! Round Rock Donuts (originally named Lone Star Bakery) first opened its doors in 1926.
- By the numbers: 10 Billion doughnuts are made in the US each year; the average person eats 34 doughnuts a year; collectively, we spend $2 billion on doughnuts annually!
- The most popular doughnut goes to the ultimate classic: Glazed! They sell three times more often than any other flavor.
- Stack ‘em up: The tallest stack of doughnuts was made with 1,764 rings, measuring 43.5″ high.
- The largest doughnut ever made was a jelly-filled version that weighed 1.7 tons!
For more fun doughnut facts check out this mouth-watering infographic, provided by offers.com.
Got a doughnut craving? Check out our favorite doughnut-inspired desserts:
- Banana Doughnuts with Banana Frosting
- Breakfast Doughnut-Sausage Corn Dogs
- Cider Doughnut Holes
- Fake-out Doughnut Hole Croquembouche
- Michael Symon’s Doughnut Holes with Caramel Almond Sauce
- Grilled Doughnut Shortcake
Doughnuts, those once-humble coffee companions, are being fancified and accessorized like never before—as you’ll see in our national sampler platter below. For a planetwide assortment, check out the new book World of Doughnuts: More than 50 Doughnut Recipes from Around the Globe by Stephanie Rosenbaum. Holey deliciousness, that’s a hole lotta love!
1. Doughnut Plant Rose Petal Yeast ($3, NYC, doughnutplant.com) 2. Glazed and Infused Maple Bacon Long John ($3, Chicago, goglazed.com) 3. Federal Donuts Spicy PB&J, with cayenne ($2, Philadelphia, federaldonuts.com) 4. Bouchon Bakery brioche-baked Boston Cream, with crispy chocolate and vanilla pearls ($3.50, 6 locations nationwide, bouchonbakery.com) 5. Duke City Donuts Samoa, with toasted coconut, caramel and chocolate ($.95, Albuquerque, NM, dukecitydonuts.com) 6. Glazed Gourmet Blackberry Earl Grey ($1.95, Charleston, SC, glazedgourmet.com) 7. Psycho Donuts Strawberry Margarita, with tequila-spiked pastry cream ($3.25, San Jose, CA, psycho-donuts.com) 8. Dynamo Donut and Coffee Meyer Lemon Huckleberry ($3, San Francisco, dynamodonut.com) 9. Gourdough’s Public House Glory Daze, smothered in cream cheese icing, spiced apples and cheddar ($5, Austin, TX, gourdoughspub.com)
–Morgan Gibson, Editorial Assistant