It wouldn’t be a proper tailgating and football season without a few good drinks, beer being one of the most popular. But why not add beer to your favorite cocktails for a truly tailgating-inspired drink? These recipes call for just five ingredients or less, and use beer, which, come on, you probably already have on hand.
Our favorite kind of cocktails are like dessert: They’re sweet indulgences that help us through both the best and worst of times. Which makes us wonder: Why separate them? This Thirsty Thursday, we’re sharing some of our favorite cocktail-inspired dessert recipes, so when the time comes, you won’t have to choose one over the other.
It’s midnight and you’re looking for a night cap. Try our White Russian Ice Cream.
You offered to bring a treat to a friend’s get-together, but don’t know whether to bring liquor or dessert. Frozen Mojito Cake-Tails are the perfect compromise.
You want to impress guests but don’t want to fuss around with a blender or mixer. Kiwi-Mango Margarita Shots require just four ingredients!
With so many ways to mix cocktail time and dessert, you no longer need to wait until 5 o’clock to start celebrating!
When it comes to brunch, mimosas, Bloody Mary’s and spiked coffee are pretty much expected. There’s nothing like a refreshing, fruit- or caffeine-filled spirit to wake you up after a long night out. In honor of National Pancake Day, we’ve put together a list of our best brunch cocktail recipes, so you’ll have something to wash those sweet cakes down with. Make one of these cocktails at your next brunch party; everyone will thank you.
And don’t forget, you’ll need the perfect pancake recipe to go along with your drink! Cheers.
As we all face the end of summer, now is the perfect opportunity to take advantage of all fresh herbs from your garden, local farmer’s market or even your go-to supermarket. Yes, basil makes a killer pesto, and mint is perfect with watermelon and feta, but our leafy green friends make just as big of a flavor statement when paired with vodka, rum, and gin. In honor of More Herbs, Less Salt Day, here are some of our favorite herb-inspired cocktails. Cheers!
The Not-So-Usual Suspects
Want more Thirsty Thursday Ideas?
Inspired by one of my friends’ favorite shots–the Pickle Back, a whiskey shot chased with pickle juice–the Dirty Pickle Martini is crisp, sour and salty all at once. Though I prefer all of my martinis made with gin, the Dirty Pickle Martini is especially tasty when made with gin. Get ready to say “Cheers!” with this super satisfying and lip puckering cocktail.
Get the recipe: Dirty Pickle Martini
Paradise found: Author and cocktail kahuna Jeff “Beachbum” Berry shows you how to make three chilled-out classics that will transport you straight to the beach. Paper umbrella optional—but encouraged!
Get the recipes (adapted from Beachbum Berry Remixed, by Jeff Berry):
Drink Tip! Stock your tiki cocktail cart with these two must-have tropical drink ingredients:
- Barrel-aged, oaky gold rum
- Orange-flavored curacao (If you can’t find curacao, use triple sec instead.)
Drink Tip! To get the supercool ocean-blue hue in your drink, add a couple drops of blue food coloring.
More Cocktail Posts:
I’ve always been fascinated by people with a “signature drink.” Not the type of drink that they have named after them, but the type of drink that they order all the time. I’ve always wondered, first, how did they find or decide on this drink? And second, what did their drink of choice say about them? Perhaps one of the reasons I was intrigued by these drinkers and their single cocktail devotion was that I didn’t have a signature drink of my own–that is until I discovered the Negroni.
We’ve all had tequila in a margarita before, so for National Tequila Day, let’s go beyond the Mexican classic and try tequila a different way.
10 Ways to Enjoy Tequila–Beyond the Basic Margarita
1. Tequila + Grapefruit Juice + Club Soda + A Squeeze of Lime (aka a Paloma)
2. Tequila + Tonic Water
3. Tequila + Lemon + Simple Syrup + Club Soda (aka a Juan Collins)
4. Tequila + Ginger Ale
5. Tequila + Orange Juice + Grenadine (aka a Tequila Sunrise)
6. Tequila + Pureed Watermelon + Triple Sec
7. Tequila + Campari + Sweet Vermouth (aka a Tequila Negroni)
8. Tequila + Orange Juice + Pineapple Juice
9. Tequila + Muddled Mint & Limes + Simple Syrup + Club Soda (aka a Tequila Mojito)
10. Tequila + Bloody Mary Mix (aka a Bloody Maria)
But if you decide, even after all of these awesome suggestions, you still must have a margarita, I suggest trying our Jalapeno Margarita above. It’s kick-ya-in-the-butt spicy, but oh so good. Cheers!
Tito’s Handmade Vodka founder and master distiller Bert “Tito” Beveridge (yup, that’s his real last name… clearly he was born for this business) has endured a long road to success with a lot of sips of vodka along the way (he tests every single batch himself)! The native Texan started out as a geophysicist, worked on dynamite-blasting oil reserves, dabbled in sub-surface mapping and analyzing ground water, and even tried out mortgage banking before he found his true calling: vodka distilling. What began as a hobby (he used to make small batches for friends) has become his passion. Today, Tito’s is one of the fastest-selling and fastest-growing micro-distilleries on the market and was just named the exclusive vodka of United Airlines. We sat down with him (over a drink, of course) to find out more:
- If you could spend a weekend cooking with Rachael, what would you make? Asian vegetable stir fry with tofu. Chicken fried venison with cream gravy. Dove breasts sautéed with garlic. Redfish with lemon. Breakfast would be French toast one day and chip beef on toast the next.
- Drink of choice? Titos with sparkling mineral water, a squeeze of lime and a squeeze of orange.
- What cocktail trend are you most excited about right now? Fresh fruit muddled with Titos and seltzer water
- #1 guilty pleasure? Rum raisin ice cream
- Best gift you’ve ever received? Kids
- Best gift you’ve ever given? An Audi
- What would you want your last meal to be? (Calories don’t count!) Deluxe Mexican dinner at blanco cafe in San Antonio. It is a beef taco. A chalupa. Guacamole. 3 cheese enchiladas with beef sauce and onions. Rice and beans. Flour tortillas and a Big Red to drink.
- You have an afternoon completely free to do anything you want — what’s it going to be? Go fishing on a creek.
- What’s your #1 rule to live by? Try hard with a lot of love in your heart.
- What’s your go-to dish if you want to impress someone? Turkey
Visit titosvodka.com for more info.
Let’s be honest, I’ll drink bubbly anytime, but I find it especially satisfying when a celebration is afoot. So what could be more fitting than pairing the palatial fireworks of sparking wine with an Independence Day celebration? Nothing. Get the tasty recipe below.
Go red, white and blue with this champagne cocktail from our “Year of Champagne Cocktails” recipe collection. You’ll enjoy drinking this sparkler all monthlong with its all-American kicker, a homemade bourbon simple syrup!
Get the recipe: Star-Spangled Berry Cocktail