Come out this Thursday, August 1, for the second annual Look Good Feel Better Beauty Editor’s Day at Saks Fifth Avenue! There are still a few spots open, so you can join our very own beauty and travel editor, Abbie Kozolchyk, at the Penhaligon’s counter, where she’ll be doling out beauty (and if you want, travel) advice during one-on-one sessions. Sign up now to be part of this great cause. All proceeds go to the Look Good Feel Better foundation for cancer patients.
To help you get to know Abbie a bit before the big day, we sat down and asked her “5 Questions.”
1. How did you get into being a beauty editor?
AK: Happy accident: As a college student, I interned at the now defunct Mirabella and fell really hard for the magazine. I gladly would have gone back for any gig there; the one that just happened to be open when I graduated was in the beauty department.
2. If you had to name one product that is your favorite, what would it be?
AK: Impossible to say, given that beauty editors are essentially human guinea pigs, and always trying new products. But I will say that one of the first fragrances to become a favorite was Penhaligon’s neroli-spiked Castile—I’m kind of an orange blossom junkie—so I’m especially happy to be camping out at the Penhaligon’s counter this Thursday.
3. What’s the best beauty advice anyone has ever given to you?
AK: One word: Sunscreen. Okay, two more: high SPF.
4. Your title is beauty and travel editor. Odd to combine the two?
AK: Oddly, no! I’ve been a travel writer (and travel addict) for almost as long as I’ve been a beauty editor, so I’m perfectly used to, say, filing an article on Reese Witherspoon’s bangs from a Tibetan yak-herding village. (True story.) Needless to say, I love that we cover both topics at Every Day with Rachael Ray.
5. So what products are you always sure to pack?
AK: See number 3.
Tito’s Handmade Vodka founder and master distiller Bert “Tito” Beveridge (yup, that’s his real last name… clearly he was born for this business) has endured a long road to success with a lot of sips of vodka along the way (he tests every single batch himself)! The native Texan started out as a geophysicist, worked on dynamite-blasting oil reserves, dabbled in sub-surface mapping and analyzing ground water, and even tried out mortgage banking before he found his true calling: vodka distilling. What began as a hobby (he used to make small batches for friends) has become his passion. Today, Tito’s is one of the fastest-selling and fastest-growing micro-distilleries on the market and was just named the exclusive vodka of United Airlines. We sat down with him (over a drink, of course) to find out more:
- If you could spend a weekend cooking with Rachael, what would you make? Asian vegetable stir fry with tofu. Chicken fried venison with cream gravy. Dove breasts sautéed with garlic. Redfish with lemon. Breakfast would be French toast one day and chip beef on toast the next.
- Drink of choice? Titos with sparkling mineral water, a squeeze of lime and a squeeze of orange.
- What cocktail trend are you most excited about right now? Fresh fruit muddled with Titos and seltzer water
- #1 guilty pleasure? Rum raisin ice cream
- Best gift you’ve ever received? Kids
- Best gift you’ve ever given? An Audi
- What would you want your last meal to be? (Calories don’t count!) Deluxe Mexican dinner at blanco cafe in San Antonio. It is a beef taco. A chalupa. Guacamole. 3 cheese enchiladas with beef sauce and onions. Rice and beans. Flour tortillas and a Big Red to drink.
- You have an afternoon completely free to do anything you want — what’s it going to be? Go fishing on a creek.
- What’s your #1 rule to live by? Try hard with a lot of love in your heart.
- What’s your go-to dish if you want to impress someone? Turkey
Visit titosvodka.com for more info.
Emily Maynard has officially launched her very own jewelry line! With the help of Jessica Stanfield and Christi Pack, founders of Towne & Reese — a line Emily wore often on her season of The Bachelorette — she developed unforgettable, style-savvy accessories with personal touches. Her 63-piece girly-with-an-edge collection can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion. See a few of Emily’s favorite pieces, plus learn about more of her favorite things below!
Favorite meal on The Bachelorette? “Every night in Prague my producer and I would go to the hotel restaurant and get a great dover sole dish.”
Her daughter’s favorite? “I make this green chicken recipes with tons of herbs and also a baked fried chicken with crushed pretzels.”
Guilty pleasure food? Ranch dressing and diet coke
Ice cream flavor? Pistachio
Summer grill-out dinner? Cheeseburgers
From left to right: Jessica Stanfield, Judi Peña (Assistant to the Editor-in-Chief), Lauren Smith (Web Editor), Emily Maynard, and Christi Pack.
Check out EmilyMaynard.com for more info.
The founders of Georgetown Cupcake, stars of TLC’s DC Cupcakes and overall superstar sisters, Katherine Berman and Sophie LaMontagne, stopped by our offices for an afternoon treat! We asked them five of our burning questions. Read on to get the scoop.
From top left, clockwise: Editorial Assistant, Morgan Gibson, Associate Lifestyle Editor, Allyson Dickman, Sophie LaMontagne and Katherine Berman.
1. What are your favorite new flavors?
Katherine: Lavender Earl Grey Teacake
Sophie: Chocolate Peanut Butter Twist
2. If you had to make a dessert that wasn’t a cupcake, what would you make?
Because of our Greek heritage, we’d probably make baklava or ravani cake. Those are a couple of our favorites.
3. How did you develop your signature swirl for the icing?
We really wanted something pretty, but not too girly. Elegant, but not understated. This swirl was something we thought would appeal to everyone!
4. Best tip for leftover cupcakes?
Turn them into a cupcake milkshake, or cut them up and layer them between ice cream or yogurt for a sweet parfait!
5. What are your most popular flavors?
Red Velvet is always the most popular flavor, then Salted Caramel usually comes in second. A lot of people go for flavors they wouldn’t make at home.
Is your mouth watering yet? Find a location near you. Then, tell us below in the comments what flavor you’d pick!