Day 4 of our #RRcookiecountdown brings a recipe that resembles snowballs, but tastes a heck of a lot better! These nutty, cocoa-y, crunchy balls of goodness are best served aside a warm mug of cocoa or coffee. Bonus: The powdered sugar coating will give you an excuse to lick your fingers!
Mocha Nut Balls
2 sticks butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 egg yolks
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups flour
2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. instant espresso powder
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
1 cup finely chopped toasted pecans
1. In a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar on medium until pale and fluffy, 5 minutes. Scrape down the bowl. Beat in the yolks and vanilla until just combined.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder and salt, then combine with the butter mixture on low speed until just incorporated. Mix in pecans on low speed.
3. Form the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic and chill 1 hour.
4. Form 1 tbsp. dough into a ball; transfer to a cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. Chill 15 minutes.
5. Bake at 350 degrees until cookies are firm, about 20 minutes.
6. When cool enough to handle, roll in confectioners’ sugar. Roll in sugar again just before serving.
66 Responses to “12 Days of Cookies Day 4: Mocha Nut Balls”