Forget “Paper or Plastic?” As many cities begin banning plastic shopping bags, the new question is, “Recycled or canvas?” Mindful Momma blogger Micaela Preston set out to find a reusable bag for every type of shopper.
1. Best for on-the-fly types: BlueAvocado XO (eco) Hip Pod ($9.99, blueavocado.com). Made from recycled bottles, this lightweight bag rolls into an avocado-size pouch–ready to grab from your purse when you need to make an impromptu stop. Its cross-body strap keeps hands free on the move!
2. Best for Stylish bargain hunters: SnapSac Spring Splash Grocery Tote ($3.99, snapsac.com). This cheap tote holds a lot. The handles are sewn into the bottom for extra support, and fasteners dot the partially recycled fabric, so folding the bag up is a snap!
3. Best for one-stop shoppers: Pack-N-Tote Grocery Cart Helper Bag ($8.95, reuseit.com). Hate using boxes for oddly shaped warehouse-club goods? This superstrong polypropylene duffle clips onto carts for easy filling; a reinforced base makes it easy to load up to 40 pounds at once directly into your car.
4. Best for multitaskers: Ese CarryAll Tote ($35.95, essereusablebags.com). Meet your new (cute) workhorse! This tote holds three small sacks that expand into big ones, plus a shoulder bag–all made from recycled plastic. It even comes with two mesh bags for produce.
5. Best for divide-and-conquerors: Reisenthel Multi Cargo Bag ($24.95, reuseit.com). Trips to the big-box stores can leave you with an eclectic mix of items. This polyester sack’s eight compartments keep cleaning products and clothes separate from food. It’s expensive but versatile–repurpose it as a beach bag.
How cool (and hot!) is this? Rach’s Classic ChillOut Insulated Tote ($17.95, RachaelRayStore.com) prevents freezer-aisle foods from melting before you get home, plus it’ll keep potluck dishes warm en route.
Get more supermarket shopping tips here.
3 Responses to “Grocery Bags for the Eco-Friendly Grocer”