We used a slow cooker for this dish, but the oven works just as well: Combine the beans, the onion mixture and the bacon in a deep oven-proof casserole and bake at 350° for 60 minutes, or until bubbly and brown around the edges.
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 6 hrs
- 6 slices lean smoky bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder or cayenne pepper
- 1 28 ounce can baked beans
- 1 16 ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 15 ounces canned or frozen lima beans, rinsed
- 1 15 1/2 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- In a small skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high heat, stirring, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Drain off all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings, add the onion to the skillet and cook, stirring often, until soft, 5 minutes. Stir in the ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard and chili powder to combine.
- Place all the beans and the chickpeas in the slow cooker and add the onion mixture and bacon; stir to combine. Cover and cook on low heat until thick, 6 hours.