Serve these teetering savory-sweet stacks at a brunchor surprise your family at dinner!
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 24 ounces uncooked bulk sausage
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for gravy
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/4 cups plus 6 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 small apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees . Heat a heavy, medium skillet over medium heat. Divide the sausage into 8 portions, then form into thin patties. Add 4 patties to the skillet and cook until browned and crisp, about 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven. Repeat with the remaining patties.
- Add enough melted butter to the sausage fat to equal 2 tablespoons total. Over medium heat, whisk in 2 tablespoons flour for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in 1 1/4 cups milk until the mixture boils, then continue to cook, whisking, for 1 minute more. Add 2 tablespoons apple butter and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the gravy to a pitcher; keep warm.
- Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together the remaining 1 1/2 cups flour, the baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter and 1 cup plus 6 tablespoons milk. Stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture.
- Spoon 1/4 cup batter for each pancake onto the griddle and cook until bubbles form, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip and cook until springy, 1 minute more. Make 8 pancakes.
- Spoon some gravy onto each plate. Spread 4 pancakes with apple butter and place on the gravy. Top each with a sausage patty, another pancake, more apple butter, another sausage patty, a few apple slices and more gravy. Sprinkle with the parsley.
- Golden Kaan Chenin Blanc 2006 (South Africa)
- Freeze a second batch of pancakes for breakfast.