"Sammy" is short for sandwiches (and "Sammy D." is short for Sammy Davis, Jr.). These Rat Pack-inspired poker-night snacks are great for anytime you want finger food; since they're made on cocktail bread, they're as cute as they are tasty.
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 10 mins
- 1 loaf mini pumpernickel or rye bread
- 1/2 pound deli-sliced Swiss cheese
- 1/2 pound deli-sliced turkey pastrami or smoked turkey
- 4 plum tomatoes, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives (10 to 12 blades)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Place 12 slices of bread on a work surface. Preheat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cut the cheese into 6 squares per slice. Cut the turkey into similar-size pieces. Build the sammies like this: bread, cheese slice, 2 turkey slices, tomato slice, salt and pepper to taste, sprinkle of chives, cheese slice, bread.
- Hold the butter with a paper towel and wipe the skillet with the butter to coat lightly. Add the sammies to the pan and cook 6 at a time for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Serve warm.