Serve with garlic-rubbed toasts.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 4 mins
- 5 pounds seedless watermelon--rind discarded and flesh chopped and chilled
- 1 1/2 pints English cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 grape tomatoes, 1/2 pint quartered
- 1 red bell pepper--cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 pound large shrimp--peeled, deveined and patted dry
- 4 ounces feta cheese crumbles
- On a work surface, finely chop enough of the watermelon and cucumbers to yield 1 cup each; in a medium bowl, combine with the quartered tomatoes. Using a food processor and working in batches, puree the remaining watermelon, cucumber and tomatoes, the bell pepper, onion, vinegar and 2 tablespoons olive oil; season with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss the shrimp with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the shrimp and cook, turning once, until opaque, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Divide the gazpacho among 4 bowls and top with the reserved chopped watermelon mixture, the shrimp and feta.
- Stir 1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeno chile into the gazpacho.