Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 1/4cup EVOO
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (16 oz.) pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 can (16 oz.) kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the EVOO over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chili powder and cumin and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the beans, tomatoes and oregano. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes; season with salt.
- Turn veggie chili into a DIY chili dog bar: put out hot dog buns, boiled hot dogs or sausages, grated cheddar cheese, sauerkraut, sliced white onions, pickled jalapenos, and condiments like ketchup, mustard and relish alongside the chili.