We cut this familiar cold soup down to size.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 1 pound yellow-fleshed potatoes, such as yukon gold, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 5 leeks, white parts only, chopped
- 1/2 pound zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 cup 2 percent greek-style yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- In a large saucepan, bring 5 cups water, the potatoes, leeks, zucchini and 2 teaspoons salt to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Using a blender and working in batches, puree the soup. Refrigerate until chilled. Serve with a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkle of chives.
- Use more leeks than potatoes. Leeks, part of the onion family, have been shown to lower bad cholesterol levels while raising good levels.
- Thicken the soup with pureed zucchini--they add body, but few calories.
- Cut fat grams by using yogurt as a garnish instead of stirring in sour cream.