Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 1 hr 20 mins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 leekstrimmed, thinly sliced crosswise and washed
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1 32 ounce container (4 cups) chicken broth
- 1 16 ounce package dried yellow split peas
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- Sour cream, for garnish
- Chopped fresh chives, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the leeks, carrots and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the chicken broth and peas, cover and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, add 3 1/2 cups water, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the peas begin to break down, 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Stir the vinegar into the soup; season with salt. Ladle into bowls and top each portion with sour cream and chive.
- Collalbrigo Prosecco NV (Italy), The Black Chook Sparkling Shiraz NV (Australia)
- Make the soup up to one day in advance--the longer it sits, the better it'll taste.
- Cut off the root end and the tough green top.
- Halve the white part lengthwise
- Soak the stalks in cold water for 10 minutes, then rinse to remove the grit.