Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper
- 3 carrots, sliced crosswise
- 1/2 cup long-grain rice, rinsed
- 1 16 ounce package frozen black-eyed peas, thawed
- 1 32 ounce container (4 cups) chicken broth
- 1 9 ounce package frozen creamed spinach, thawed
- 3/4 baguette, for serving
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add to the pot and cook, stirring, until golden, 6 to 8 minutes; transfer to a plate. Add the carrots, rice and beans. Cook, scraping up any browned bits, for 1 minute, then stir in the chicken broth and 2 cups water. Bring to a simmer over high heat, then lower the heat and simmer until the rice and beans are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, shred the chicken. Add to the soup along with the creamed spinach and cook for 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Serve with the baguette.
- Slash calories by using chicken breast cutlets instead of the chicken thighs, and plain frozen spinach instead of the creamed.
- Use about 1 1/2 cups cooked leftover rice--just add it during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Stretch leftovers by stirring in 1 pound cooked rotini pasta and more chicken broth as needed.