If you don't have a Dutch oven, use a soup pot. Just simmer the soup for 30 minutes after adding the salsa.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 1 hr
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 head garlic, cloves finely chopped
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1 32 ounce container (4 cups) chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups a href="/recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-index/appetizer-starter-recipes/Salsa-Fresca">Salsa Fresca
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- In a large Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic; cook for 3 minutes. Add the chicken thighs and broth, bring to a boil and simmer for 4 minutes. Stir in 1 cup salsa, cover and remove from the heat. Let stand until the chicken is cooked through, about 45 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and shred.
- Return the broth to a simmer; season with salt. Divide the chicken among 4 soup bowls and top with the avocado slices. Ladle the broth into the bowls and top each portion with the cilantro, sour cream and remaining salsa.