Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 1 hr
- 5 cups a href="/recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-index/soup-recipes/Easy-Turkey-Stock">Easy Turkey Stock or chicken broth
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 10 ounces fresh okra, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 cups chopped Butter-Basted Turkey meat
- 1 pound large shrimp--peeled, deveined and chopped
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce, plus more for serving
- Sour cream, for serving
- In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups turkey stock and the barley to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer until tender, about 40 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, bring the remaining 3 cups stock, the tomato sauce, bell pepper and cooked barley to a boil. Stir in the okra and scallions, lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the turkey and shrimp and cook until the shrimp is opaque, about 3 minutes; stir in the hot sauce. Serve the soup with dollops of sour cream and more hot sauce.
- Use an 8-ounce package of frozen cut okra instead.