Pick up the freshest squash you can find, and turn it into this hearty seasonal dish.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 40 mins
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 acorn squash (about 2 pounds)halved lengthwise, seeded, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 whole skinless, boneless chicken breast (about 1 1/2 pounds), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 28 ouncecan diced tomatoes with their juices
- 1 cup light beer, such as pilsner
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 15 1/2ouncecan pinto beans, drained
- Juice of 2 limes (about 3 tablespoons), plus 1 lime cut into wedges, for serving
- Cilantro, for serving
- Sour cream or plain yogurt, for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the bell pepper, jalapeno, garlic, five-spice powder and chili powder and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the squash pieces, chicken pieces, tomatoes, beer, cocoa powder and brown sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the pinto beans and lime juice and cook for 5 minutes. Let the stew cool slightly, then ladle into bowls and top each serving with some cilantro, a dollop of sour cream and a lime wedge.
- Folie a Deux Menage a Trois White 2005 (California)