Makes: 12 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 2 hrs 30 mins
- 1/4 cup EVOO
- 8 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 6 oil-packed anchovy fillets, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup red wine
- 4 cans (28 oz. each) or 3 cans (35 oz. each) crushed san marzano tomatoes
- In a 5- to 6-qt. heavy dutch oven, combine the EVOO, garlic, anchovies (if using) and crushed red pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the garlic is golden and the anchovies fall apart, 3 to 4 minutes. Pour in the wine, then add the tomatoes. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Lower the heat, partially cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thick and reduced by one-third, about 2 hours 15 minutes. Season with salt. Let the sauce cool completely.
- Store in 1-and 2-cup containers. (Youll need at least two 1-cup containers.)
- Thaw at room temperature for about 2 hours, or pop into the fridge in the morning and let thaw all day. Or, if you forgot, run it under cold water, slip it out of its storage container and reheat in a small saucepan over low heat, or microwave it on the thaw setting.
- Add minced carrots with the garlic to sweeten the sauce.
- Bump the red pepper to 3/4 tbsp. for extra spice.
- Double the wine for a more intense flavor.
- Stir in 2 small links chopped cured chorizo and omit the anchovies.