These beer-sloshed pinto beans come from cookbook author and real Texas cowgirl, Paula Disbrowe.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 1 hr 30 mins
- 2 cups dried pinto beans
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 jalapeno chilestemmed, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 12 ouncebottle Shiner Bock beer or other amber ale, such as Dos Equis
- 2 tablespoons chopped chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, bring the beans and enough water to cover by 1 inch to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse the pinto beans, return to the pot and add water to cover by 1 inch. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeno and bay leaves and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the beer and simmer until the beans are tender and creamy, about 30 minutes. Discard the bay leaves and stir in the chipotle chiles, vinegar and cilantro; season with salt.
- Use canned pinto beans in place of dried beans.