Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 55 mins
- 1 1/4 cups quinoa
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 bunches Swiss chard (1 1/2 pounds), ribs discarded and leaves coarsely chopped
- 1/4 pound deli-sliced ham, cut into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
In a large saucepan of boiling, lightly salted water, cook the quinoa until tender, about 20 minutes; drain and let cool. 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat; add the onions and thyme and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened and golden, about 25 minutes. Stir in the chard and ham; season with salt and pepper. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring, until the greens are wilted, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm. Meanwhile, place 1/2 cup panko in a shallow bowl. In a large bowl, combine the cooled quinoa, the cheese, eggs, remaining 1/4 cup panko and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper; shape the mixture into twelve 3-inch patties, about 1/2 inch thick.
4.Wipe out the skillet and heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Working in 3 batches, coat the patties with panko, place in the pan and cook, turning once, until golden-brown, about 8 minutes. Top each cake with the ham-chard mixture and serve immediately.
- Combine cooked grains with some beaten egg and seasonings, then fry into cakes.