Grab 'em while you can! It doesn't get any sweeter than a peach in season, and this recipe gives you more reasons to sink your teeth in.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 30 mins
Bake: 25 mins
- 4 peaches (1 1/4 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4cup plus 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . In a large bowl, combine the peaches, 2 teaspoons sugar and the lemon juice. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, the baking powder and salt. Using your fingers, rub the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Measure out 1 1/2 tablespoons cream and set aside; stir the remaining cream into the flour mixture until just combined, then gently fold in the peach mixture and any juices.
- On a lightly floured work surface, pat the dough into a 6-by-9-inch rectangle. Using a 3-inch round cookie cutter, cut out 6 rounds; combine the scraps and cut out 2 more rounds. Transfer the rounds to a parchment-paper- lined baking sheet. Brush with the reserved cream and top with the remaining 2 teaspoons sugar.
- Bake the rounds until golden-brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet.