One reader shares an age-old recipe for freshly picked veggies.
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- Salt and pepper
- 2 ears corn, kernels scraped off the cob (about 1 cup)
- 1 pound garden peas, shelled (about 1 cup)
- 1 small yellow squash, chopped
- 1/4 pound green beans, halved crosswise
- 1/4 pound okra, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the tomato, leek and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender; season with salt and pepper. Add the corn, peas, squash, beans and okra and cook until the vegetables are al dente, about 15 minutes. Toss with the basil and serve.
- Cut off the root end and the tough green top.
- Halve the white part lengthwise
- Soak the stalks in cold water for 10 minutes, then rinse to remove the grit.