Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 40 mins
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 slices (1/4 inch thick) peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Chopped chives, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, combine the carrots, parsnips, ginger, brown sugar, rice and 1/4 tsp. salt. Add enough water to cover by 2 inches and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Drain the vegetables, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid. In a blender, in batches if necessary, puree the vegetables with 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Add the butter and 1 tsp. salt; add more cooking liquid for a thinner puree. Transfer to a serving dish and top with the chives.