Start with our Roasted Red Peppers recipe, or use the store-bought kind in a jar.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 35 mins
- 1 14 3/4 ounce can creamed corn
- 1 roasted red pepper, cut into small cubes
- 4 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 large eggs
- 1 stick (4 ounces) butter, melted
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 3 cups)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . Grease a 2-quart or 8-inch square baking dish and set aside. In a medium bowl, stir together the corn, roasted red pepper, scallions, eggs, butter, half-and-half and salt. Working over a large bowl, sift together the cornmeal and baking soda, then stir in the cheese.
- Stir the vegetable mixture into the dry ingredients until just combined; do not overmix. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 15 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake until set, about 20 minutes. Serve hot.
- Stir a teaspoon of chili powder into the dry ingredients.