Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Bake: 15 mins
- Salt and pepper
- 2 large fennel bulbs, cored and cut into strips, plus 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fennel fronds
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees . In a large nonstick skillet, bring 3/4 cup water to a boil with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add the fennel bulb strips, cover and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring frequently, until the water has evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring the cream to a boil over medium-high heat; cook until reduced to about 2/3 cup, about 3 minutes. Add the fennel seeds and lemon peel, cover and let steep for 3 minutes; strain into a shallow 2-quart baking dish. Stir in the cooked fennel bulb strips and 1/4 cup parmesan. Sprinkle with the remaining 3/4 cup parmesan and bake until browned and bubbly, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with the fennel fronds.
- If your fennel doesn't have fronds, use flat-leaf parsley instead.