Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 35 mins
Bake: 30 mins
- 1 stick (4 ounces) butter
- 1 sweet onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 12 ounces cured chorizo sausage, coarsely chopped, or raw chorizo sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 3 - 4 granny smith apples, finely chopped (4 cups)
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 6 cups coarsely chopped storebought cornbread (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic and cook until slightly softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the chorizo and cook for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the apples, half of the pecans and the parsley; season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, gently mix the chorizo mixture with the cornbread. Transfer to a buttered 9-by-12-inch baking dish, pressing lightly into place. Pour the chicken broth evenly over the mixture. Press the remaining pecans on top.
- Bake the stuffing until lightly browned, about 30 minutes.