Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 35 mins
Bake: 45 mins
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/4 pounds carrots and parsnips, thinly sliced
- 1 pound red-skinned potatoes, thinly sliced
- 3/4 pound rutabagapeeled, halved and sliced
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese (4 oz.)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees . Rub a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with the garlic clove and 1 tbsp. butter. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the vegetables until firm-tender, about 7 minutes. Drain and run under cold water to cool.
- In a medium bowl, stir the cream, milk, fontina, parmesan, thyme, 1 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper.
- In a large skillet, melt the remaining 4 tbsp. butter over medium heat. Add the panko and cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Layer the vegetables, cream mixture and breadcrumbs in the baking dish. Bake until bubbling and very tender, about 45 minutes.