Rach served this as an out-of-the-ordinary Thanksgiving side, but it makes a great go-with for roasted poultry or pork any time of the year.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- Extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- 1/2pound smoky bacon, chopped
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 head red cabbage (about 1-1/4 pounds), cored and shredded
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 12 ouncebottle amber beer
- 1/3cup honey
- 1/4cup chopped flat-leaf parsley (a couple of generous handfuls)
- In a Dutch oven or large, deep skillet, heat a drizzle of EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp, about 5 minutes; remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the onion to the pan and cook until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the cabbage, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add the beer and reduce for 2 minutes. Stir in the honey and cook on low heat until dissolved. Simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the parsley and reserved bacon; season to taste.
- Use nonalcoholic beer if you prefer.