Cantaloupe chunks meet bourbon and mint for a refreshing dessert with Derby Day spirit.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup packed fresh mint leaves and tender stems, plus whole sprigs for garnish
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 2 cantaloupes peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Juice of 1 lemon
- In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup water and the sugar to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is reduced by half, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in 1/2 cup mint leaves and the bourbon. Cover and let steep for 1 hour.
- Place the cantaloupes in a serving bowl. Strain the syrup over the melon; stir in the lemon juice to taste. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Top with mint sprigs.