Even a classic like creamed corn deserves a makeover.Grilling the corn adds a smoky richness. Taste for yourself.
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Grill: 15 mins
- 8 ears corn, husked
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/4cups milk
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat a grill to medium-high. Arrange the corn on the grate and grill, turning occasionally, until the kernels are golden-brown and softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Once cool enough to handle, remove the corn kernels from the cobs; discard the cobs. (You should have about 5 cups kernels.) Lower the grill temperature to medium.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over the grate. Add the butter to melt, then whisk in the flour until combined and foaming, about 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in the milk and cream cheese and cook, whisking constantly, until smooth and thick, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the corn kernels; season with salt, black pepper and the cayenne, if using, and cook until heated through, about 1 minute.
- Sweeten with honey and spoon over biscuits or pancakes.
- Mix with salsa for a creamy dip.
- Use as a filling in enchiladas or burritos.
- Stir into mashed potatoes along with some cheddar.
- Serve as a topping for chili or baked potatoes.
- Thin with milk, then heat with frozen veggies for a corn chowder.