Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 1 pound fusilli pasta
- 1/4cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 eggplant (about 1 1/4 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups mixed greens
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2ounce cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4cup balsamic vinegar
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain, then rinse with cold water; transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat; add the eggplant, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until soft and golden, 7 to 9 minutes. Add to the pasta and toss; let cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes.
- Add the mixed greens, bell pepper, mozzarella, onion, parsley and vinegar to the pasta and toss. Season with salt and pepper.
- Innocent Bystander Shiraz/Viognier 2007 (Australia)
- Swap a 5-ounce container of goat cheese crumbles for the mozzarella.
- Find raw red onions a bit strong? Quick-pickle them by soaking in the balsamic vinegar for 15 minutes.
- Discard any lettuce leaves and then use the leftovers in another recipe.