Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 6 ounces thick-cut smoked bacon, cut into small cubes
- 3/4cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4cup red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- 12 ounces mixed lettuce, preferable frisee and chicory, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 1/2cups store-bought croutons
- 3 ounces blue cheese, preferably roquefort or aged gorgonzola, crumbled
- 1 baguette, warmed
- In a medium skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until crisp, about 7 minutes; using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain. Whisk the olive oil, red wine vinegar, mustard and garlic into the bacon fat in the pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place a paper-towel-lined plate next to the stove. Fill a wide, deep skillet with enough water to reach a depth of 2 inches, add the distilled vinegar and bring just to a simmer. Working with one at a time, crack each egg into a small bowl and slide into the skillet. Cook until set, 6 to 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the poached eggs to a clean towel to drain.
- Divide the lettuce among 4 plates and sprinkle with the croutons, blue cheese and cooked bacon. Top each salad with a poached egg. Remove and discard the garlic from the warmed dressing and pour over each salad. Serve with the baguette.