Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 40 mins
- 3 Granny Smith apples, cored and sliced into thin wedges
- 1 cup walnuts
- Salt and pepper
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 shallots, peeled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 heads Belgian endive, chopped
- 3 bunches watercress, large stems discarded
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . Place the apple wedges on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake until softened, about 20 minutes. Place the walnuts on a baking sheet, season with salt and pepper and bake until lightly toasted, about 10 minutes. In a medium skillet, cook the bacon until crisp; crumble and set aside.
- In a blender, combine the shallots, mustard, honey, tarragon, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. With the machine on, drizzle in the vinegar and then the oil.
- In a large bowl, toss the endive with the watercress, baked apples and shallot dressing to taste. Sprinkle with the toasted walnuts and crumbled bacon.