This well-dressed burger is bursting with Mediterranean flavor.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 10 mins
- 2 jarred roasted red peppers
- 1/3 cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup plain Greek-style yogurt
- 1 clove garlic
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 pounds ground lamb
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion (about a palmful)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (about a palmful)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (about 1/3 palmful)
- 1 teaspoon paprika (about 1/3 palmful)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (about 1/3 palmful)
- 2 pinches ground cinnamon
- Salt and pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves
- 4 crusty rolls, split
- Thinly sliced bell peppers, red onions, tomatoes and hot fresh chiles, for garnish
- Using a food processor, puree the roasted peppers, cucumber, feta, yogurt, garlic and lemon juice.
- In a large bowl, combine the lamb, onion, chili powder, oregano, paprika, garlic powder, cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Form into four 4-inch patties. In a large skillet, heat a drizzle of EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook, turning once, for 8 minutes for medium.
- Place a romaine leaf and a patty on each roll bottom and top with the garnishes. Slather the sauce on the roll tops and set in place.