These peppery patties hold their own—without the bun.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 45 mins
- 3 potatoes, cut into thin wedges
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grill seasoning
- 10 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef sirloin
- 1 tablespoon coarse black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 10 ounce bag spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 3 tablespoons horseradish
- 3 tablespoons bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees . On a baking sheet, toss the potatoes with 2 tablespoons EVOO and the grill seasoning. Roast for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a second medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium heat. Season the beef with salt and the coarse pepper. Form into 4 patties. Pour the wine into a dish. Dip each patty in the wine, then cook for 4 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate and top with the mushrooms; cover with foil.
- Add the wine to the burger skillet and reduce to a syrup. Whisk in the butter, then the flour, beef broth and Worcestershire sauce.
- Heat the mushroom skillet over medium heat and add the remaining 2 tablespoons EVOO, 2 turns of the pan. Add the spinach and cook until wilted. Toss in the gorgonzola.
- Combine the sour cream with the applesauce, horseradish and bread crumbs. Serve the burgers with the wine gravy, spinach and potatoes, and horseradish sauce for dipping.