Keep your friends and family happy this holiday season.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 5 mins
- 4 large sweet potatoes (about 3 pounds), peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 1/4 pounds ground turkey
- 2/3 cup breadcrumbs (a couple of generous handfuls)
- 2 scallions, white and green parts only, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley (a generous handful)
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon whole milk or half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small red onion or 1 large shallot, chopped
- Juice of 1 orange plus 2 teaspoons grated peel
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon spicy mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- In a deep pot, add the sweet potatoes and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, salt the water and cook the potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain.
- While the potatoes are working, in a bowl, season the turkey with salt and pepper. Add the breadcrumbs, scallions, parsley and thyme. In a small bowl, beat the egg with the milk; mix into the turkey mixture. Shape the meat into 4 oval patties about 1 inch thick. In a large skillet, heat the EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook, turning once, until browned, about 15 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 6 minutes. Add the orange peel and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the flour on the red onion and cook for 1 minute, then whisk in 3/4 cup chicken broth and the orange juice; cook until thickened, 30 seconds. Whisk in 2 tablespoons brown sugar, the ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Mash the potatoes with 1 to 1 1/4 cups chicken broth. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar; season with salt and pepper. Serve with the turkey patties and the gravy on top.
- Pietra Santa Dolcetto 2004 (California), Andeluna Malbec Winemaker's Selection 2006 (Argentina)