Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 4 ribs celery from the heart, chopped
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups turkey or chicken broth
- A few dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1 10 ounce box frozen peas
- 1/3 ripe banana, sliced
- A few dashes hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (about 8 ounces)
- In a large saucepan, combine the sweet potatoes and enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil, salt the water and cook until tender, 15 minutes. Drain and set aside, reserving the pot.
- While the sweet potatoes cook, preheat the oven to 425 degrees . In a deep skillet or Dutch oven, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over high heat. Add the turkey and cook, breaking up with a spoon. Stir in the onion, carrots, celery and poultry seasoning. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour for 1 minute, then whisk in the turkey broth and season with salt, pepper and the Worcestershire sauce. Simmer for a few minutes until thickened, then stir into the turkey mixture. Stir in the peas and remove from the heat.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter to the sweet-potato pot and melt over medium-low heat. Add the sweet potatoes and banana; season with salt, pepper and the hot sauce and mash until combined.
- Top the turkey with the sweet potato mixture and smooth the top. Cover the sweet potatoes with the cheddar and bake until the cheese is completely melted, about 5 minutes.
Tip PAIR WITH:
- Grant Burge Miamba Shiraz 2005 (Australia)