Break out the baking dishes—there's lots here to keep you and your family satisfied.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- Salt and pepper
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Grated peel and juice of 2 tangerines
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 - 3 teaspoons hot pepper sauce, to taste
- 3 carrots, shredded
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric (about 1/2 palmful)
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, add to the skillet and cook, turning once, until browned, about 12 minutes. Transfer to a platter and cover to keep warm. Add 1 tablespoon EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, to the skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add 1/2 cup chicken broth, the tangerine peel and juice, the Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and hot sauce. Lower the heat and simmer until reduced slightly, about 2 minutes. Return the chicken to the sauce and turn to coat.
- In a large saucepan, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium heat. Add the carrots and scallions, season with salt and pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, the curry and turmeric and bring to a boil. Stir in the couscous, turn off the heat, cover the pan tightly and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff the couscous with a fork and stir in the almonds. Serve with the chicken.