Break out the baking dishes—there's lots here to keep you and your family satisfied.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
- 1 baguette, quartered
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2cups milk
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 2 10 ounceboxes frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 9 ouncebox frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
- 1/2cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella or provolone cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . Arrange the bread on a baking sheet. In a medium skillet, melt the butter with the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Whisk in the flour for 1 minute, then whisk in the milk and season with the nutmeg. Cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Pull the spinach apart, then add to the sauce. Fold in the artichokes and cook until heated through. Stir in the parmigiano-reggiano, season with salt and remove from the heat.
- Spread the spinach and artichoke mixture on the bread and top with the mozzarella. Bake until the cheese is melted, 10 to 12 minutes. Top with the thyme.
- Hugel Gewurztraminer 2005 (France)