"My husband begs for this dish. Its my fresh take on linguine in red clam sauce. Serve with bread for mopping and place bowl on the table for the clam shells." -Rach
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
- 1 pound thick spaghetti
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 large cloves garlic, grated
- 6 anchovy fillets, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- Black pepper
- 48 cockles or Manila clams, scrubbed
- 2/3 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley (2 generous handfuls)
- 1 small bunch scallions, finely chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until just shy of al dente, about 7 minutes; drain.
- While the pasta is working, in a large, deep skillet, heat the EVOO, 4 turns of the pan, over medium heat. Add the garlic, anchovies and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until the anchovies melt, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, season with black pepper and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring, until the tomatoes burst, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the clams, cover the pan and cook until the clams open, about 3 minutes. Discard any clams that do not open.
- Stir the parsley and scallions into the skillet. Add the pasta and cook, tossing occasionally, until al dente, about 2 minutes. Season with salt.
- Beckmen Vineyards Purisima Mountain Grenache Rose 2007 (California), Montecillo Crianza 2004 (Spain)
- Serve with bread for mopping and place a bowl on the table for the clam shells.