FYI, this recipe contains a raw egg yolk, so be sure to use a pasteurized egg.
Makes: 4 servings
- 4 flat iron steaks (6 to 8 oz. each), at room temperature
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup EVOO, plus more for coating
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or pasted
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 organic egg yolk
- A generous handful grated pecorino-romano cheese plus more for shaving
- 1 bunch flat-leaf tuscan kale stems discarded, leaves chopped or sliced
- 1 romaine heart, chopped or sliced
- Heat a griddle or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Season the steaks with salt and pepper and coat with some EVOO. Cook the steaks, turning once, for 10 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes, then thinly slice on an angle.
- In a salad bowl, combine the lemon juice, garlic, anchovy paste, worcestershire and mustard; season heavily with pepper. Using a fork, mix in the egg yolk, then pour in 1/3 cup EVOO in a slow, steady stream to emulsify the dressing. Stir in a handful of cheese. Add the kale and romaine and toss to coat. Serve the salad topped with shaved cheese, alongside the steak.