Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound sea scallops, trimmed and patted dry
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6 flat fillets of anchovies
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (1/3 palmful)
- 1/2 cup dry sherry, white wine or dry vermouth (eyeball it)
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup seafood stock or chicken broth
- 1 pound large shrimp, deveined and tails removed
- 1 pound turbot, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup shredded or torn fresh basil
- Grated peel of 1 lemon
- Crusty bread, to pass around the table
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the EVOO, 4 turns of the pan, over medium-low heat. Add the scallops in a single layer, season with salt and pepper and cook, turning once, 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate. add the garlic, anchovies and crushed red pepper to the skillet and cook until the anchovies dissolve.
- Add the sherry to the skillet and reduce slightly. Add the tomato sauce and stock; bring to a boil. Season the shrimp and fish with salt and pepper, add to the sauce and simmer until opaque, 6 to 7 minutes. Stir in the scallops, basil and lemon peel. Serve the stoup in shallow bowls with the bread.
Tip PAIR WITH
- Argiolas Vermentino di Sardegna Costamolino 2005 (Italy)
Tip Check out
- Look for seafood stock in the soup aisle or frozen foods section.